Adult Supervision Recommended. Small Parts.
How it works
Our Craft Your Own Lip Balm craft kit has everything you need to create your very own personalized Lip Balms!
- Set up a work area before you begin. Lay down paper towels to catch any drips or spills. (You can wipe up with a paper towel, then wash with soap and water).
- Lay out the contents of the craft kit so all your ingredients and tools are within reach.
- This is an easy process to follow, but a couple of steps can be a little tricky. Go to WWW.PLBFUN.COM/INSTRUCTIONS to watch our tutorial videos.
- Prepare the mold for the lip balm: Place the silicone mold into the acrylic holder. Place the metal ring on top, ensuring the ring is sitting on top of the silicone mold. This is where you’ll pour your liquid mixture to create your lip balm. (See Photo A)
- Prepare the mold extractor: Connect the syringe plunger to the length of clear pipe, and the other end of the pipe to the silicone holder (has ridges on the outside). You will use this once the lip balm is cooled and in its case. (See Photo B)
- There are four ingredients in this lip balm craft kit: Beeswax, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, and the flavoring(s).
- The ratios of the first three will determine the consistency of your lip balm. A good starting point is equal parts of beeswax, olive oil and shea butter.
- Since this is a science experiment, try creating lip balms with different ratios of the three main ingredients. Just keep in mind that each batch you create should equal 3 scoops total.
Use the included silicone mixing cup and the scoop, add the following to the mixing cup, in this order:
- 1 Level Scoop of Olive Oil
TIP: Don’t clean the scoop before scooping Shea Butter. The Olive Oil will keep the Shea Butter from sticking to the scoop too much.
1 Level Scoop of Shea Butter (make sure to really pack itin and fill the scoop entirely)
1 Level Scoop of Beeswax ChipsHere are some other ratios to experiment with:
- Ingredient Regular Softer Harder
- Olive Oil 1 Scoop 1 Scoop 1 Scoop
- Beeswax 1 Scoop 2/3 Scoop 1 1 /3 Scoop
- Shea Butter 1 Scoop 1 1/3 Scoop 2/3 Scoop
- More Beeswax = Harder Lip Balm.
- Less Beeswax = Softer Lip Balm.
- Place the mixing cup with ingredients in a microwave, and microwave on high for 15s at a time until the Beeswax Chips have completely melted. (You may need to microwave 3-5 times more at 15s each to completely melt the ingredients – this will vary from microwave to microwave)
- If you do not have a microwave, with help from an adult fill a shallow container with boiling water and place the mixing cup in the water. The heat transfer will melt the ingredients.
- Once it is completely melted, handle with care, and use the stir stick to completely blend the ingredients.
- At this point, you can add your flavors.
- You can mix and match the flavors, but no more than 7-8 drops total for the ratio of Beeswax, Olive Oil and Shea Butter listed above.
NOTE: Adding more than the recommended amount of flavoring will result in a mix that may not solidify. The flavoring will pool at the bottom of the mixing cup and not be evenly mixed. Exercise care when mixing in the flavor to avoid this happening.
Pouring into the mold
Once you’ve added in your flavors, stir to blend together before pouring into the mold.
TIP: If the mixture has started to solidify in the mixing cup, and is too thick to pour into the mold, feel free to put it back into the microwave for one or more 10s intervals to re-melt the mixture to make it easier to pour.
- Take your mold assembly and place it on a flat surface and ensure the metal top ring is sitting flush with the silicone mold below. (See Photo A)
- Gently pour the liquid mixture into the mold and fill it right to the top of the metal ring. Almost to the point of overflowing. Any leftovers in the mixing cup can be re-heated and re-melted for another lip balm.
- Let the lip balm cool in the mold at room temperature (DO NOT REFRIGERATE). It should solidify and be ready to use in 30-60 minutes. (Cooling and solidifying time may vary depending on composition of mixture, initial temperature of mixture and room temperature). Do Not Use while still warm.
- Once solid, select the case you want to use for your new lip balm, remove its top, and turn it as if you were bringing a lipstick up right to the top.
- Gently remove the metal ring from the mold assembly by rotating it gently and pulling it straight up. It should come off easily, exposing part of your lip balm.
- Take your lip balm case and place it upside down onto the exposed lip balm, pressing firmly but gently to ensure the lip balm connects with the case. (See Photo C)
- At this point, remove the case and mold off the acrylic base, and get the mold extractor ready. Place the tip of the lip balm (Still in its mold) into the extractor, and gently pull back on the syringe, creating a vacuum seal with the mold. As you create this vacuum, gently pull the lip balm from its mold. It should slide off easily if vacuum is being applied properly. (See Photo D)
- Gently retract the lip balm into the case and place the top on.
- That’s it! You’re ready to use your lip balm.