Adult Supervision Recommended. Small Parts.
How it works
Our Create Your Own Lip Balm craft kit has everything you need to create your very own personalized Lip Balms!
- Set up a work area before you begin. Lay down paper towels to catch any drips or spills. (You can wipe up with a paper towel, then wash with soap and water).
- Lay out the contents of the craft kit so all your ingredients and tools are within reach.
- There are four ingredients in this lip balm craft kit: Beeswax, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, and the flavoring(s).
- The ratios of the first three will determine the consistency of your lip balm. A good starting point is equal parts of beeswax, olive oil and shea butter.
- Since this is a science experiment, try creating lip balms with different ratios of the three main ingredients. Just keep in mind that each batch you create should equal 3 scoops total.
Using the included silicone mixing cup and the scoop, add the following to the mixing cup, in this order:
- 1 Level Scoop of Olive Oil
TIP: Don’t clean the scoop before scooping Shea Butter. The Olive Oil will keep the Shea Butter from sticking to the scoop too much.
- 1 Level Scoop of Shea Butter (make sure to really pack it in and fill the scoop entirely)
- 1 Level Scoop of Beeswax Chips
Here are some other ratios to experiment with:
- Ingredient Regular Softer Harder
- Olive Oil 1 Scoop 1 Scoop 1 Scoop
- Beeswax 1 Scoop 2/3 Scoop 1 1 /3 Scoop
- Shea Butter 1 Scoop 1 1/3 Scoop 2/3 Scoop
- More Beeswax = Harder Lip Balm.
- Less Beeswax = Softer Lip Balm.
- Place the mixing cup with ingredients in a microwave, and microwave on high for 15s at a time until the Beeswax Chips have completely melted. (You may need to microwave 3-5 times more at 15s each to completely melt the ingredients – this will vary from microwave to microwave)
- If you do not have a microwave, with help from an adult fill a shallow container with boiling water and place the mixing cup in the water. The heat transfer will melt the ingredients.
- Once it is completely melted, handle with care, and use the stir stick to completely blend the ingredients.
- At this point, you can add your flavors.
- You can mix and match the flavors, but no more than 7-8 drops total for the ratio of Beeswax, Olive Oil and Shea Butter listed above.
NOTE: Adding more than the recommended amount of flflavoring will result in a mix that may not solidify. The flavoring will pool at the bottom of the mixing cup and not be evenly mixed. Exercise care when mixing in the flavour to avoid this happening.
Pouring into containers
- Once you’ve added in your flavors, stir to blend together before pouring into the containers.
TIP: If the mixture has started to solidify in the mixing cup, and is too thick to pour into the containers, feel free to put it back into the microwave for one or more 10s intervals to re-melt the mixture to make it easier to pour into containers.
- Remove the top of 5 cases and make sure the container is open all the way (as if you were retracting a full lip balm) and stand them up on a level surface.
- The amount of liquid mixture you just created should be enough to fill 3-5 containers worth. (Don’t worry, there’s plenty of raw ingredients to make all 10 lip balms...)
- You can use the included pipette to pull the liquid from the mixing cup and transfer to the containers. Squeeze the top before dipping the end into the liquid, and release to suck the liquid into the pipette.
- Alternatively, you can pour directly from the mixing container into the lip balm containers.
- Let the lip balm containers cool at room temperature (DO NOT REFRIGERATE). They should solidify and be ready to use in 30-60 minutes. (Cooling and solidifying time may vary depending on composition of mixture, initial temperature of mixture and room temperature). Do Not Use while still warm.
- Once solid, you can use the included stickers to label your newly created lip balms!